The Vine Restaurant - Our Story
The Highest Rated Restaurant for Fine Dining in Walla Walla & the Tri-Cities!
Discover our romantic fine dining restaurant with spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. With a variety of elegant dining options, “The Vine” is the perfect setting to celebrate special occasions like a birthday or anniversary. Make a reservation to treat yourself to a unique culinary experience at The Vine today!
The Vine combines fantastic service with delicious, artfully prepared food to create the ultimate dining experience. Enjoy beautiful, mouthwatering food in a warm, country setting for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The Vine restaurant specializes in a seven-course, prix-fixe style of fine dining and is open all year long Tuesday through Saturday. Restaurant-style dining is also available on Mondays during the summer (Apr – Oct). However, dinner options for guests staying at the Mansion are always available on Sundays and Mondays during the winter when the restaurant is closed. (See note on “Sunday & Monday Offerings” below.)
Whenever you choose to dine at The Vine, a few things you can always count on:
- Each plate is created with the freshest ingredients
- We use fresh local produce whenever possible.
- An expansive selection of local wines from the Walla Walla region or internationally famous ciders from the Columbia Basin for the perfect pairing of your meal.
Transportation to The Vine is an Issue?
If you would like to dine at The Vine, but the driving distance (25 miles from Walla Walla, 25 miles from Pasco, or 30 miles from Hermiston) is an obstacle for you, please consider our Luxury Ride and Dine Service. This is a relatively inexpensive way to enjoy the luxury of high-end dining and uniquely luxurious transportation all in one package!
Dine with Stunning Views
Take in the beauty of the surrounding orchard with the stunning background scenes of the picturesque Walla Walla River Valley, during your romantic gourmet dining experience. Choose from the outdoor patio tables or inside our beautiful dining room. The Vine is the perfect upscale location for a romantic date night or to celebrate a special occasion.
The Vine is located within Cameo Heights Mansion, about 25 miles west of Walla Walla and 25 miles east of Tri-Cities. It has been recognized and awarded several times by OpenTable.com, based upon users reviews, with the Diners’ Choice awards, as well as multiple awarding of the prestigious Best Overall Restaurant, and Best Food, and Best Ambiance in the Seattle / Eastern Washington region (practically speaking, the whole state of Washington!).
Hours/Days of Operation of The Vine
- Breakfast: Every day
- 9:00 am — complimentary breakfasts for overnight guests
- 9:30 am — outside guests by reservation
- Catered Lunches: Mondays – Thursdays by reservation only
- 12:00pm for groups of 8 or more. (Minimum payment will apply.)
- Seven Course Prix-Fixe Dining: 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm (Seating times by reservations)
- Apr 1 – Oct 31: Monday through Saturday. (No Sunday service.)
- Nov 1 – Mar 30: Tuesday through Saturday. (No Sunday or Monday service.)
Seven-Course Prix-Fixe Fine Dining
Features of this service include:
- Seven courses for $79 (before tax, gratuity, or beverages.) Price is subject to change without notice.
- Optional chef-selected wine pairing on four courses for $35. (This service is temporarily suspended because of lack of sufficient staff. Soon this will be reinstated we hope.)
- Extensive wine and beverage menu from local suppliers.
- Public restaurant dining. (No lodging reservation needed.)
- By reservation only.
- Though prix fixe, diners also have the option “of a la carte” ordering of any of the individual courses. (See the sample menu for details.)
Catered Lunches for Groups over 8
Monday through Thursday
Features of this service include:
- Three-course lunch: $45 (Includes sodas, coffee and tea; French-pressed coffee & choffey, iced coffee, strawberry lemonade, and alcoholic beverages are extra. Price is before taxes and gratuity.)
- Great for corporate or business lunches of groups of 8 or a larger or with a minimum fee of $360 (before tax, gratuity, beverages, and alcohol.)
- The same excellent food and ambiance you have come to expect with evening dining at The Vine.
- Wine and beer available for purchase
- Lunches starts at 12:00pm..
- Make reservations by calling 509-394-0211.
Full Breakfast Everyday
- We use restaurant-style seating — not family-style. Every person or group will be seated individually as a couple or grouped together as they wish.
- Breakfasts consist of pastry course (our signature “Wake Up Service served roomside at 8:00AM to staying guests of CHM but served with breakfast to outside restaurant guets), fresh fruit, and your selection taken off a different menu each day featuring at least three delicious entreés.
- One seating at 9:30AM.
- Cost of Breakfast: The cost is $25 per person but complimentary to overnight guests of Cameo Heights Mansion. (Cost includes sodas, juices, coffee and tea. French-pressed coffee & choffey, iced coffee, and mimosas are available with an extra charge. Charge is before tax and gratuity.)
- Reservations: Restaurant guests may call 509-394-0211 to make breakfast reservations.
- Holiday Brunches: We choose not to do special holiday brunches, such as Mother’s Day and Memorial Day, for two reasons: They are on Sunday and at a later hour that we want to provide meal service on a Sunday.
- Large groups on Sunday: We reserve the right to decline some requests for Sunday breakfast service for groups over 6 depending upon our availability and the size of your group.
Our Personal Promise from the owners of The Vine
Our perpetual purpose and aim is for your complete satisfaction with every aspect of your dining experience. We assure you that the management and staff are constantly seeking how to achieve near perfect meal service for every guest of The Vine.
However, we have learned by sad experience that we may not be able to guarantee complete dining satisfaction every time for every guest. Perfect guest satisfaction is a moving and ambiguous target. What totally delights one customer may not be satisfying to another. But that doesn’t diminish in any way our thrust to achieve dining excellence. Simply said, though we can’t realistically guarantee perfection, we promise you that our persistent goal will always be: Dining Excellence for Every Guest, Every Time.
In January of 2008, Cameo Heights Mansion was born and with it The Vine was created as our dinner restaurant for guests of the B&B. It began with simple good food prepared and served by us, Deanne and Alan Fielding, the owners, exclusively to the guests of Cameo Heights Mansion. It was a steep learning curve for us as we entered the hospitality and restaurant business suddenly after a lifetime of farming. But we had a heart and passion for warm hospitality and good food. Requests to come and enjoy dinner, without staying at the inn, soon followed. Initially, we were not permitted and licensed as a public restaurant.
Eventually, zoning hurdles were overcome and necessary permits were secured and “The Vine” opened as a public restaurant in the spring of 2010. We realized at the outset, that this new step would require a dedicated chef so we hired a well-known and respected local chef in Penny Addison as our head chef. Our business quickly grew as we established seasonal menus of dishes that created lots of happy return customers. Her style of cuisine might best be described as “homestyle dining at its very best.”
But Penny is a lot like Alan: after a few years, she grew weary of doing the same thing every day. She needed a break — Hawaii was calling her name. So after four years or so, she suddenly announced she was leaving.
We were, of course, anxious about the prospects of hiring a new chef but at the same time we thought it an appropriate opportunity to make a move in a different direction. Using Craig’s list as our advertising bureau, we were led to several applicants, some from far away, who answered our quest for a chef who could introduce us to the world of fine dining. After a few “stages” with different chefs, we were elated to hire Chef Nathan Carlson. Under his watch, we transitioned into a completely new style of menu and dinner offering. We rebranded the restaurant as “The Vine Fine Dining” and announced to our world of diners that new dining style would be fine dining and our menu style would be a modified prix fixe.
Guests immediately loved Nathan and his creative cuisines. We rather quickly emerged as the place to go for fine dining in Walla Walla, which, for this town of wine and fine dining, is no small statement. Chef Nathan worked his magic at The Vine Fine Dining for almost 6 years. We were often the highest rated on OpenTable measured across all the states of the Union.
Then along came COVID 19. Like many establishments we voluntarily shut our doors — for about 45 days. Luckily for us, the hotel industry was considered an essential business by Washington state and, when opened, were authorized to feed our guests, provided we followed the safety protocols. After taking advantage of the time we were down to make necessary adjustments in our sanitization and cleaning protocols to assure the safety and wellbeing of our customers during the COVID pandemic, and receiving the blessing of our county health department, we determined the time was right to reopen. You can imagine our disappointment when a very cautious Nathan, concerned that is was still too premature to reopen, was led to make the decision to leave our employ in the spring of 2020.
Back to Craig’s list again! So in late April, after another national search using sites in key metropolitan areas of the nation, we were grateful to discover and hire Chef Kelly Siner from California as our new head chef. Chef Kelly was with us for over a year. He is a very talented chef. On the strength of his flavorful cuisine we were even able to grow the restaurant bookings, even though COVID caused us to employ creative table settings in diverse rooms, many settings out doors with walls and heaters, to maintain the required separation. (Fortunately, for us, in outdoor dining, if you had adequate separation, it was not limited in capacity.)
But Chef Kelly, with all his former experience in large restaurants, was not used to functioning in a more intimate setting. He never seemed to be at peace being the solitary chef, doing all the cooking, prepping, and purchasing of supplies, etc. He yearned to function more as an executive chef overseeing the production. That didn’t work for us, so it was that in July on 2021, we found ourselves on the hunt again for a new chef.
This time we hired an expensive national recruitment agency to help locate our new chef. We wanted the best money could hire. Would you believe that it turned out to be a local boy? We hit gold the fourth time when we found and hired Chef Rich Koby of Walla Walla. He has sterling credentials and broad training with outstanding chefs. Most recently he had worked as a self-employed chef in Walla Walla when he and his wife ran the Fat Duck from 2013-2019 where they featured weekly fine dining with a very loyal “supper club” following.
Never have we been happier and more optimistic of our potential than with him as our new head chef. It is always difficult when departing chefs have created niches with customers who love their particular and unique style and flavors of food preparation, but we are persuaded that Chef Koby will quickly garner the trust, respect, and avid following of new and all our returning customers. His food is beautiful and delicious.
So it is that with some of the best chefs possible as our guide, we have slowly evolved and secured our place in the competitive world of fine dining. As a result of our commitment to excellence in all aspects of hospitality, combined with the good fortune of hiring the extraordinarily talented chefs, The Vine Fine Dining continues to grow in recognition, accolades, and acclaim.
On the horizon, we have business plans to someday soon separate the restaurant physically from the Bed and Breakfast as a dedicated and completely independent public restaurant both for our lodging guests and for the general public.
Our goal is to grow our capacity to serve more customers and enhance our food services and offerings with the installation of new and better equipment. However, though we expect to continue growing, we are determined to maintain the same level of intimate fine dining that has set us apart from the crowd.